2016 has been quite a transitional year for me. I started out the year as a Class 12 student, unsure if I’ll get in to the universities I wanted to. I then got into the university I really wanted to go to, moved out of home to a different city for college and lived in a hostel. I found ways to express myself creatively, from starting my YouTube channel , to exploring my artistic side. This has been an important year where I have learnt so much, and I thought I would share with you some of the lessons I’ve learnt along the way.
- Explore inwards more. Spending time self-introspecting and figuring out who you are is not a terribly narcissistic thing to do. It’s a good thing, actually.
- Everything costs money! (A realisation that has come from living on my own in hostel, plus the scarcity of money during demonetization)
- Adulting is just pretending you know stuff. Everyone is just making it up as they go.
- I have mastered the art of waking up 15 minutes before class, eating breakfast and somehow showing up on time.
- People do not get to where they want to be by accident. It takes intentional, goal oriented action to realise your dreams,
- Hard work and practice are underrated in society. It is such an important component of success.
- You do not owe anything to your past self. If certain activities and dreams of your former self do not resonate with the person you have become, let it go.
- Most barriers that you think hinder you are in the mind.
- Spend time creating. The ability to make something out of nothing is amazing.
- There’s no point waiting for things to be perfect to start something. Things will never be perfect. Just start.
- Spend time doing things you love- restart a childhood hobby, learn how to play that instrument you’ve been wanting to for the longest time, go stare at the sky at night.
- Staying in the middle zone is comfortable. There are no pitfalls. But, there will be no highs either. To grow, you must put yourself out of your comfort zone.
- The world seems so much more in harmony when you align your actions with your beliefs.
- Just do what you want to. Most people don’t care anyways. Some people might, but that should not matter. Do not let people stifle you because you are doing the things that they are too scared to do.
- If you don’t have a set out plan for life, that is completely alright. There are thousands like you, and we’ll get on just fine.
- 2016 may have shown us just how rampant hate, divisiveness, violence and prejudice still are in the world. However, there are still so many people who believe in love above all, and it is important for us to unite and support one another to accomplish amazing things.
Thank you for reading this blog post. I would love to know what you think!
Happy New Year!